|Did you know….!|
Top 23 Internet Facts You Probably Don’t Know
1) Domain registration was free until the National Science Foundation decided to change this on September 14th, 1995.
2) One million domain names are registered every month!!!
3) In the 1950s computers were commonly referred to as “electronic brains”.
4) Lenovo stands for “new legend” . It’s an amalgamation of the words “Le” for Legend and “novo” for new.
5) It is impossible to create a folder with the name “con” of “Con” on any Microsoft operating system.
6) Intel’s first microprocessor the 4004 was originally meant to be a pocket calculator.
7) The name ‘worm’ appeared in the 1970 movie ‘Shockwave Rider’ to describe a program that propagates itself through a computer network.
8) Estimates suggest as much as 50 percent of the power used in desktop PCs is wasted as heat and expelled through fans on the power supply.
9) All the three founders of Apple Inc – Steve Jobs, Steve Wozniak and Ronald Wayne – worked at Atari before creating Apple.
10) Did you know that www.symbolics.com was the first ever domain name registered online?
11) The first successful high level programming language, IBM FORTRAN was developed in 1954.
12) The first ever search engine was called “Archie ” and was created way back in 1990 by a Canadian student Alan Emtage.
13) More than a billion transistors are manufactured…..every second!!!!!!!!
14) In 1982, Andrew Fluegelman created the first ever shareware, known as PC-Talk. It was a communications software.
15) Former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee was the first subscriber to India’s first private ISP, Satyam Infoway.
16) Google earns 97per cent of its revenues from advertising alone.
17) If Youtube was Hollywood, they have enough material to release 60,000 new films every week!!!!
18) Lynx was the first web browser to be released in 1993. Opera and Netscape followed soon after in 1994.
19) Sony’s VAIO stands for ‘Video Audio Integrated Operation’
20) Stewardressess – the longest word you can type with your left hand using the usual two-handed typing method.
21) The first product to have a bar code on its package was Wrigleys chewing gum.
22) Infosys was the first Indian company to release its annual report in CD-ROM format.
23) The first web site was built at CERN.